Friday, January 16, 2015

New Blog and a Purpose





Hi, my name is Crystal as you might have guessed from the blog name :)  I'm a Mom of two boys, currently 14 and 9 (or 9 1/2 as he says), we're in the picture above.  My oldest is now 3" taller than me and I'm 5'6".  I've been married to my husband for 17 years and we are also owned by 2 cats (Nala and Rafiki) and a dog (Chewbacca or Chewy for short - we obviously got him during the boys' star wars phase).  I also work as a research tech in marine science.


When I'm not a Mom, Wife or worker-bee, I love to crochet and knit.  I started crocheting November of 2013, was self-taught.  But I wanted to knit.  Somehow I couldn't learn this on my own so I finally took a beginner's knit class at my somewhat LYS, The Salty Sheep in December.  However I didn't pick it back up due to holiday craziness until I was about to take a second class on making cabled boot cuffs last Saturday.  I learned that I had forgotten how to knit and purl, lol!  However the LYS owner is very patient and by the end of the class time I was about 1/3 through the first book cuff which I finished up the next day. I then finished the second boot cuff this past Tuesday.  I then frogged my dishcloth from the first class and have redone it.  I should finish that this afternoon.

And in this week I have found I am completely addicted to knitting.  I cannot get enough.  I listen to podcasts while driving and knitting (not at the same time, the driving and knitting).  I peruse Pinterest, Ravelry and Instagram.  I look for new-to-me blogs.  And when I am home, I knit.  I love the repetitive ease and I also like learning new things.

I have bought more yarn (like I didn't have enough from my crochet days) and several different knitting needles.  I'm waiting on a full set to arrive in a few weeks, but I did get some basics.

I plan on kitting up several things this weekend and knitting Monday (a day off for me) all day.  No kids and husband may or may not be working.  If he's not he'll be happily playing Xbox and I can knit the day away.  Tomorrow will be broken up, we have a birthday get-together (1-month late) for my oldest at my FIL's and I'll go to that, but probably with my knitting in a bag.

Oh I did my first knitting in public while at a restaurant for lunch with my husband.  I asked him first of course, but I find it easy to knit and listen as long as I'm not counting when casting on!

So that's a lot about me and my knitting fetish.  I plan to use this blog to document my knitting adventures.  I'll suggest patterns, blogs, podcasts and yarns as I find them.  I'm a newbie, but I am falling quickly in love with all things knitting.  Oh and I'm starting the Follow Your Arrow 2 MKAL starting Monday the 19th with Ysolda.  I cannot wait.  This may be a little challenging for a newbie, but I am looking forward to it!

So if you are reading, please introduce yourself.  If you have suggestions of blogs to read, please do that.  I'm still looking around for more to read and absorb about this wonderful hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment