Saturday, January 17, 2015

First Knitting Project

As I mentioned, I took the beginner's knitting class at my kind-of-LYS, The Salty Sheep.  I call it "kind of" because I actually a have to drive about 30 minutes from work or almost an hour from home to get there.  But it is well-worth it!  So I took the class in December, starting working on a simple knit-purl dishcloth in some lovely cotton yarn I bought in the shop.  However I let it fall to the wayside in finishing up crochet gifts, getting the flu and celebrating Christmas.

So when a friend of mine suggested we take a Cabled Boot Cuff class this past weekend, I jumped at the chance.  I faithfully got out my dishcloth and did some practicing, but secretly wondered if I was in over my head to take this class with so little experience.  Well class day came and I learned I was doing my knitting and purling wrong. But the owner was so patient with me, even when I completely screwed up my count at one point.  So then I get to the cableing.  Okay if you haven't done it, learn it, it is so simple.  It looks beautiful and complex but it is not.  I am in love.  So I took my project (that was mostly redone before the cabling by Ms. Peggy) home.  And I worked on it Saturday night and Sunday and I finished the first one.  I was honestly in love at that moment.  My bind off was a little wonky, but it was a learning experience and I didn't mind since I could put that end down in my boot.

Sunday-Tuesday I worked on the second cuff.  Through two playoff games, some podcast episodes and finishing up the TV show Revolution (short but excellent) I worked on these cuffs.  I had a few hitches with the start, but once I figured out how to connect the cast-ons together on the 3 DPNs, I had it.  I won't say it went perfectly, but I was able to fix anything that was messed up. My counting went much better this time and by Tuesday evening I was finished with the set.  And I have to say after finishing these, I felt I was ready to take on the world.  Which that feeling resulted in me signing up for Ysolda Teague's Follow Your Arrow 2 MKAL.  Crazy, I might be, but I plan to have fun on my journey to insanity :)  And now I can't wait until Monday to see the first clue.  The LYS owner is the one who told my friend and I about this and how much fun she had last year, so I had to join this year!  Stay tuned for how that is going (but no pics, I don't want to spoil it).

So,  here you go, my first knitting project:


Boot cuff pattern by LYS owner, Ms. Peggy. 
Yarn: Malabrigio Rios 122 Niebla (worsted weight 100% superwash merino).  I love this color, it is amazing. 
Started January 10, 2015
Finished: January 13, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment